Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Brick Level Backups

2003-12-04 18:43:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Brick Level Backups
From: jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com (Jon Bousselot)
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:43:37 -0800
We're also looking at the Ontrack software for quick file restores.  I
got a tip from a reader on this list, of how to increase the mailbox
backup speeds.  It involved breaking down the usernames into one data
stream per letter of the alphabet.   The message thread was "Brick-level
Exchange Backup Performance", back in October of 2003.

The list I initially tried was designed to get as many data streams out
of the exchange server as possible.  In our environment, this caused a
lot of problems, and I would get exit status 41 on several streams,
where it would almost always give exit staus 1 when using one stream.
It really was faster than one stream, obviously, but with the increased
errors, and errors other than status 1, I wasn't comfortable with the
reliability of the backup.  I decided to reduce the number of streams by
grouping the users into larger groups of the alphabet.  I now have four
groupings, and my errors have almost disappeared.  What used to take
almost 6 or 8 hours to do, now takes under 3 hours.  I have also noticed
that the multiple data streams improve the speed to search out a message
during recovery.  Our "information store" backup takes just over 90
minutes, and it's a full backup every night.  That's why we're so
interested in the Ontrack software.  It's priced based on mail accounts,
and it works extremely fast!

Splitting the mailboxes improves speed, but will load up your exchange
server as it works to deliver the data.
Four streams for about 200 users seems to be an acceptable load on our
system.  Our exchange database fluctuates between 50 and 60 gig.

-Jon Bousselot