Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cannot deassign or expire tapes

2003-11-17 11:14:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cannot deassign or expire tapes
From: tlewick AT hrblock DOT com (Lewick, Taylor)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:14:49 -0600
Had the same problems, here are the steps to fix...
If you cannot expire the tape using the bpexpdate command (In speaking with
Veritas they said there are known issues with this command not always
working), you need to do the following...

There are three databases where the media is known, so if there is an entry
in only one of the three, then the bpexpdate command won't work.  Try
removing the media from the Media, Image and Volume database.  It sounds
like you are having a problem similar to the one I had, and for me the
vmquery command below worked...

Media Database
Bpexpdate -ev mediaID -d 0 -justmedia -force

Image Database
Bpexpdate -ev mediaID -d 0 -justimage -force

Volume Database
Vmquery -deassignbyid <MEDIAID> <POOLNUMBER> <STATUS>  Status is status of
the tape, 0 is FULL I believe...

What probably happened is this.  You were running a backup to a tape, the
backup began successfully and it filled up the first tape.  As NetBackup is
positioning or writing to the next tape, there was a failure and/or a
reattempt.  The reattempt succeeded but now only the currently loaded tape
contains info for this backup job.  Netbackup knows the images on the
previoulsy mounted tape are no longer valid, hence they aren't in the images
database, but a bpmedialist -mcontents will show image information on the
header of the tape.  Also, a vmquery command shows the tape in the library,
and it now shows up as a full media in the available-media report.  This
kind of sucks, because unless you manually expire it, it will just stay out
there until you manually move it back in.  What I do in this situation is
verify there are no more other valid images on this tape that have yet to
expire.  (Which this should be the case if you are valuting/offsiting
complete images).  If there are not, I just manually expire this tape and
make it available to the library.  According to Veritas, there are also some
known issues with NetBackup handling backup jobs that span tapes and
receives a failure (It doesn't know how to clean up the results properly).
One way to verify this, is set your activity monitor to hold a weeks worth
of info, and when you see a full media that doesn't have images on it, run a
vmquery command, see when it was last mounted, and then look in the activity
monitor and find the job description with that tape listed.  See if there
was a failure/retry of any kind.  I bet there was...