Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] vnetd setup

2003-11-13 09:11:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] vnetd setup
From: bgivens AT verio DOT net (Bruce Givens)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:11:55 +0100
Hi there,

I am attempting to set up vnetd between a master/media server (Solaris)
and client (Linux), both at 4.5FP3, currently no firewall is between
client and server.

I have made the GUI changes described in the SysAd Guide, creating a
client entry in the firewall section of the server properties dialog and
selecting no connect-back, resulting in the entry
CONNECT_OPTIONS = client 0 1 2
in bp.conf of the master/media server.

The connections I see via netstat when attempting to back up are as
follows:

tcp        0  50680 client:678        server:4803       ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 client:1003       server:13724      ESTABLISHED
tcp        1      0 client:13782      server:925        CLOSE_WAIT

Does anyone have an idea where that first connection is coming from? I
have tried numerous times and a third connection is always opened on
seemingly random port numbers. I have tried this setup through a
firewall, and backups are not working because of that connection being
dropped.

I have also tried "CONNECT_OPTIONS = client 0 1 1", with a restart of
the NetBackup daemons just in case, the random connection is still made.

Have I forgotten something or have I misunderstood the concept of vnetd?

Thanks,
Bruce