Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FlashBackup performance.

2003-10-29 10:10:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FlashBackup performance.
From: steve AT warning DOT ca (Steve Mickeler)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:10:46 -0500 (EST)
I'm looking for any feedback from those who are actively using FlashBackup
to find out if its worth the price.

After doing some research, it seems that for one of our servers that has
close to 30 Million files , most of them quite small, that the FlashBackup
extension might be the best tool to reduce the backup windows on this
server.

The server is a Sun e420R , dual path SAN attached via Veritas DMP and is
running VxFS. The server is also a NBU SAN Media server with SSO enabled.

It wasnt until the server went from being a regular network client to its
own SAN Media Server that I noticed the backups were taking forever.

Right now I'm reducing my backup window on the server by setting up unique
policies per mount point and creating 24-30 NEW_STREAM's , all of them
being multiplexed to 1 drive. With this, I am able to take my avg
throughput from just over 1000 KB/sec to over 20000 KB/sec

Then I add the 24 NEW_STREAM dirs to the exclude_list for the other
policies and schedules on the server.

This method/hack seems to work ok right now but as time goes on, I'm sure
its going to turn into an administrative nightmare.