Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 FP5 Activity Monitor Allocation Failed Error

2003-10-29 01:22:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 FP5 Activity Monitor Allocation Failed Error
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:22:27 -0600
--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

* David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> [2003-10-28 13:35]:
> We recently upgraded to 4.5 FP 5 from 3.4.3 and when using the java
> client GUI, we are getting a situation where the first couple days are
> great, but then we start seeing an error message pop up:
>=20
>       Activity Monitor failed and must be restarted. To recover:
> =09
>       1) Exit Activity Monitor
>       2) Correct the problem that caused the error
>       3) Restart Activity Monitor
>=20
>       allocation failed
>=20
>=20
> The problem is, this is happening on ALL java client connections to the
> master server, Linux, Sun, Windows, etc. We have also noticed that over
> the last week since the upgrade, there are a LOT of java processes that
> seem to be old processes from client connections that no longer exist
> that show up on the master server.
>=20

Well, I am posting to myself, but it is pertinant information...

We have discovered that the problem IS resources being takeen up on the
master server, and the reason is because of stale connections to
clients. Most of them are Windows-based java clients that have been
ungracefully exited (powered off machine, GUI lockup, etc). We made sure
all client GUI's were logged off and killed all the remaining processes
on the master and life is good again.=20

Anyone know how to get the master to clean up stale connections if a
client dies?

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com