Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up a filesystem with millions of small f iles

2003-10-24 01:38:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a filesystem with millions of small f iles
From: Quarantine AT GSCCCA DOT ORG (Quarantine)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:38:09 -0400
I have about 90 million files with an average size of 50K.  It sounds like
you're using the job tracker on the server being backed up.  The crunching
you're seeing with no associated backup is job tracker figuring out how many
files it's going to back up.  This is a completely worthless feature.
Disable it and your life is going to be much easier.  I'd also suggest
breaking up the backups into smaller groups.  For example, if your root has
folders a, b, c and d, perform individual backups of each folder, or a group
of folders.