Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SDLT320 / NDMP / EMC Celerra

2003-10-16 17:19:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SDLT320 / NDMP / EMC Celerra
From: dcabrera AT hasbro DOT com (Cabrera, Dario)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:19:03 -0400
Hello all,

Is anyone out there using an SDLT320 drive to do an NDMP backup of an EMC
Celerra ? My setup is an ADIC Scalar 1000 with 4 SDLT320 drives. The drives
are attached to my fiber backbone via an ADIC 5100 SNC. One of the drives is
zoned thru the fabric  directly to the Celerra, as NDMP drives need to be
dedicated to the data mover being backed up. I am using Netbackup FP3 for
Windows 2000 with all of the latest patches. The 3 drives not servicing the
Celerra are backing up about 50 other servers over a 100 Mb/Full Ethernet
segment. The drives when multiplexed, can easily sustain rates of 70 to 90
GB/Hr each. No problem there. The NDMP Celerra drive which is fiber attached
direct to the Celerra chugs along at about 45 GB/Hr max. We recently
upgraded the firmware on the SDLT320s to V70 which is the latest rev from
Quantum. When we did this, the density indicator light on the drive slaved
to the Celerra came on. If I'm not mistaken, when this light is on in a
SDLT320 it is operating in  SDLT220 mode which would explain the speed
difference. I have seen other posting in newsgroups referring to an ST.Conf
file which can be edited in most flavors of Unix that would allow you to set
the proper density on the drive. Can this be done in a Celerra ? Or am I the
only person running backups on a Celerra with an SDLT320 ? Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Dario Cabrera
Sr. Lan Administrator
Hasbro Inc.