Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup 3.4 / RMAN 8.1.7

2003-10-16 15:58:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup 3.4 / RMAN 8.1.7
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:58:56 -0400
--=_alternative 006DC3D385256DC1_=

Mark:

We have been using the Oracle agent to run RMAN backups .  Here is my
experience.

When creating a Veritas scheduled policy for an RMAN backup I have three
policies

One for weekly full backups (green)
One for dailty cumulative (aqua)
One Application backup (red) -- I'll explain this one.

When Veritas schedules a Netbackup job it calls a script that runs on the
Unix system and
calls rman with a parameter that refers to the .rcv file

Veritas schedules one "master" job to control the backup.  It then
schedules as many
sub jobs that run as "default policy" (I have renamed it to refer to the
instance I am backing up) as it
needs to actually do the backups.  For example doing a full backup on a
70G database
will result in one master job and up to 10 or more "child" jobs.  If you
look at the activity
monitor details you will see that those are the jobs that actually mount
the tape and
transfer the data to the tape.  The master job will terminate when all the
child jobs are complete.
you can change the name of the default policy to whatever you want, just
be sure the
"send"parameter has the exact name (it is case sensitive) you have set for
the "default policy"
 I have found that I need unique names for all my "default" policies so
that Vertias does not confuse the
child jobs between my various RMAN backups.  I run abouit 17 RMAN backups
every night.

I don't know if this will help, I hope I have understood your question

Regards,
Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Tindall, Mark" <mark.tindall AT derwent.co DOT uk>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
10/16/2003 09:23 AM