Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to backup NT Registry

2003-10-15 11:24:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to backup NT Registry
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:24:21 -0500
--=_alternative 0054AAE986256DC0_=

This will back up the Registry with a "brick-level" backup.  Like a
mailbox backup in Exchange (as opposed to a database backup).

Doing it this way, each key in the Registry is backed up as if it were a
separate file.  This allows you to restore a single key if needed.  The
downside is that your catalogs will grow substantially because there are a
large number of "files" (keys) and it takes a long time to read through
the Registry this way so your backups will take longer.

In NT (NOT Windows 2000 and higher), you can back up the files that make
up the Registry which are located in WINNT\system32\config.  To restore
the entire Registy you just restore the files.  Doing it this way you can
still restore a single key, but you have to restore the file the key is
in, load the file as a new hive, find the key you want in the temporary
hive, save it to a file, restore the key where you actually want it and
then unload the temporary hive from the Registry, which is not as bad as
it sounds.  It only takes a few more minutes than restoring the key itself
from a brick level backup of the Registry.

- Scott

"Broun, Bevan" <brounb AT adi-limited DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
10/09/2003 05:39 PM
Please respond to brounb