Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Vault / Dupes in SAN SSO Env.

2003-10-06 11:00:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Vault / Dupes in SAN SSO Env.
From: david.chapa AT adic DOT com (David Chapa)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:00:29 -0600
It depends (I'm not fond of answers that begin that way...but it is
appropriate in this case).

Since NetBackup is "image" based and not "tape" based, it will only
duplicate those images that meet your criteria set our in your profile.
Secondly, if you use multiple drives (for increased performance through
parallelism) for your duplication, the likelihood of some tapes ending
up partially full is quite possible.  It seems that you are using 6
drives for your duplication to match the 6 media servers in your
environment.  You can maximize the usefulness of your media if you
reduce the number of source drives at your destination storage unit.
The trade-off here is the fact that you may not complete your
duplication within the same time-frame as you are currently
experiencing.

The altreadhost function is nice since it doesn't burden your media
servers.  If it is slow then you may be experiencing an over-burdened
master server which for this scenario may respond to some performance
tuning (assuming your master is the altreadhost).  What it does is
temporarily create an assignment entry in the master server's mediaDB so
it can perform the reads/writes.  My advice would be to take it one step
at a time.  Address your vault issue, and then if necessary address your
master server "read/write" performance through tuning possibilities.

HTH

David A. Chapa * Technical Advisor, Technical Marketing * ADIC *
720.249.5836 * david.chapa AT adic DOT com

Pathlight VX - Integrated Disk-to-Tape Backup - http://www.adic.com