Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Remote Site Backups

2003-09-21 20:26:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Remote Site Backups
From: ssesar AT rcn DOT com (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:26:32 -0400
You don't say what OS(s) you need to replicate/backup. I'm going to speak from
a UNIX perspective, since I'm a UNIX engineer.

On a per site basis:

Set up a box or boxes, which can accomodate enough disk space to meet your
data storage needs. We'll call them, 'replication servers'.

On these replication servers, I would concatenate some disks to make one large
partition, let's call it, /DR. Underneath /DR, I would have directories for
each server that I was backing up.

Set up rsync jobs on your production machines to synchronize them over to your
replication servers. Run them from cron periodically. Maybe use 'tar' to
handle your boot disks and rsync to handle application data.

Consider how you would handle any application that should be shut down prior
to running rsync, ie, database.

What this solution doesn't take into consideration is retaining data for more
than a 24 hour period.

What you gain is:

- the ability to bring back a machine or parts of a machine, pretty quickly
- not much in terms of $$$
- easy to maintain
- DR testing is easy

HTH,