Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Making a Case for Netbackup

2003-09-18 10:28:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Making a Case for Netbackup
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:28:35 -0500
--=_alternative 004F84CC86256DA5_=

Mark,

This is awesome! Hopefully since we are on maintenance the upgrade to 5.0
will not cost anything.

Would you happen to know the BMR requirements in version 5.0 ie: Is
netbackup server enough?

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 09/17/2003 04:56:19 PM:

> Whoa! I said this wrong.
>
> "NB Business Server" becomes "Netbackup Server"
> "NB Datacenter" becomes "Netbackup Enterprise Server"
>
> "Netbackup Server" has:
>   Unrestricted number of clients
>   Unrestricted number of robots/drives/slots
>   Unrestricted number of NDMP filers
>   TSH robots
>   Optical Disk
>   Robots with Multiple drive types
>
> And does not have:
>   Remote Device Hosts (Master is only device host)
>   Remote Media Servers (Master is only media server)
>   Library Sharing (No SSO)
>   API (LAN) Robots: ACS, LMF, TLH, TLM
>   Does not support "Advanced Client", SSO, & STK Tape Emulation for
SN6000.

> So, if you hang out with Business Server until the 5.0 upgrade, you'll
get
> unlimited clients and the other stuff that the Business server didn't
allow.

> -M

Datacentre(Spelt
> like a canuk) is really significant.
>
> I still want to make the case for netbackup. I'm considering moving all
our
> server backups onto netbackup and keeping the few and far between PC
client
> backups on arcserve.
>
> So i'm looking for some arcserve/brightstore netbackup comparison docs.
I'm
> not sure where to find them.
>
> Where can i find them?
>
> Thanks
> Karl

--=_alternative 004F84CC86256DA5_=

the upgrade to 5.0 will not cost anything.</font>
5.0 ie: Is netbackup server enough?</font>
09/17/2003
04:56:19 PM:<br>
&gt; Whoa! I said this wrong.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &quot;NB Business Server&quot; becomes &quot;Netbackup Server&quot;<br>
&gt; &quot;NB Datacenter&quot; becomes &quot;Netbackup Enterprise
Server&quot;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &quot;Netbackup Server&quot; has:<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Unrestricted number of clients<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Unrestricted number of robots/drives/slots<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Unrestricted number of NDMP filers<br>
&gt; &nbsp; TSH robots<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Optical Disk<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Robots with Multiple drive types<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; And does not have:<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Remote Device Hosts (Master is only device host)<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Remote Media Servers (Master is only media server)<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Library Sharing (No SSO)<br>
&gt; &nbsp; API (LAN) Robots: ACS, LMF, TLH, TLM<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Does not support &quot;Advanced Client&quot;, SSO, &amp; STK
Tape Emulation for SN6000.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So, if you hang out with Business Server until the 5.0 upgrade, you'll
get<br>
&gt; unlimited clients and the other stuff that the Business server didn't
allow.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -M<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Danny Baldonado [mailto:Danny.Baldonado AT lucasfilm DOT com]<br>
&gt; Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 3:50 PM<br>
&gt; To: Donaldson, Mark<br>
&gt; Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Making a Case for Netbackup<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hey Mark,<br>
&gt; If &quot;Business Server&quot; becomes the equivalent of
&quot;Datacenter&quot;,
then what does<br>
&gt; &quot;Datacenter&quot; become?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; peace,<br>
&gt; dannyB<br>
&gt; ------<br>
&gt; Daniel Baldonado<br>
&gt; UNIX Administrator<br>
&gt; Lucasfilm Ltd.<br>
&gt; danny.baldonado AT lucasfilm DOT com<br>
&gt; 415-662-7577<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Donaldson, Mark [mailto:Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com]<br>
&gt; Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 1:20 PM<br>
&gt; To: 'Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA'; veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn
DOT edu<br>
&gt; Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Making a Case for Netbackup<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; With the release of v5.0, the client limitation will be gone.
&nbsp;&quot;Business<br>
&gt; Server&quot; as a product will be gone to be replaced by &quot;Enterprise
Server&quot;,<br>
&gt; equivalent to Datacenter today, and &quot;Netbackup Server&quot; roughly
equivalent to<br>
&gt; Business Server.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So, hang onto Business Server until turn of the year, upgrade to
&quot;Netbackup<br>
&gt; Server&quot; and buy a few more client licenses. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -M<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA [mailto:Karl.Rossing AT Federated
DOT CA]<br>
&gt; Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 12:33 PM<br>
&gt; To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<br>
&gt; Subject: [Veritas-bu] Making a Case for Netbackup<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; We currently have Netbackup 4.5 and Arcserve 2000 in our company.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; In our 2004 Budget, we would like to switch to one.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I like Netbackup more than i like arcserve.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; However to go from an 8 client business server to a 16-20
Datacentre(Spelt<br>
&gt; like a canuk) is really significant.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I still want to make the case for netbackup. I'm considering moving
all our<br>
&gt; server backups onto netbackup and keeping the few and far between
PC client<br>
&gt; backups on arcserve.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So i'm looking for some arcserve/brightstore netbackup comparison
docs. I'm<br>
&gt; not sure where to find them.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Where can i find them?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks<br>
&gt; Karl <br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; <br>
</tt></font>