Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux servers

2003-09-17 19:56:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux servers
From: jonw AT n2h2 DOT com (Jon Walton)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
I just cut my installation over to Redhat 7.3 - 4.5 FP5.   It is simple, a
single master/media server connected via LSI/Symbios 53c875 HVD SCSI to a
Storagetek L80.

I am having problems with the Linux sym53c8xx_2 driver, (Getting bus and
host resets).     I am thinking that I need to modify the driver to
allow a greater timeout window for the L80's robotic arm.   I am not sure
if an Adaptec HBA would have been a better choice than the Symbios .   I
would be curious to know if anyone else out there is using the Linux 2.4
sym53c8xx_2 driver with a robot.

I have seen no problems at all with the Veritas product itself on Linux
vs. Solaris.   I only drive 4 DLT8000's, and for that I am using
an old dual PIII 667 with a decent RAID 0+1 controller, 1G RAM.
>From a CPU and I/O perspective, it has no problem spooling up all 4
DLT8000's to capacity.

I would say be sure to talk to your library vendor and see what sort of
HBA they recommend, given the current Linux drivers.  I'll let you know
what I find out as far as the sym53c8xx_2 is concerned.

-Jon