Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 Advance Reporter

2003-09-17 13:55:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 Advance Reporter
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:55:14 -0700
Questionable benefit.  The web reports are OK, but not modify-able.  Really,
I don't see a lot of value in them, except to publish for external users.
But if said users want something the default reports don't give, you're out
of luck.

You can have direct access to the NBAR SQL (storied in a MySQL database) to
do your own custom reports, but

(1) the schema is not properly documented (i.e., it's wrong)
(2) some fields are apparently not updated
(3) it's not inline-tape-copy-aware
(4) there is *no support* for querying the database.  Even though they
document the schema, Veritas support will not answer questions (like "why
doesn't this column exist when it's shown in the schema" or "why is this a
different type than the schema shows").

We're looking at different products right now on reporting.  Aptare looks
interesting.  I've heard good and bad about Bocada but haven't really
examined it.

--
 Drew Fabbro [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]
 Unix Systems Group