Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #2517 - 11 msgs

2003-09-17 09:48:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #2517 - 11 msgs
From: Josh.Goldfarb AT blackrock DOT com (Goldfarb, Josh)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:48:09 -0400
"Shahar.Shaynis AT ecitele DOT com wrote:

>1) Upgraded all W2K to SP3
>2) Installed the Microsoft Fix for the Blaster problem
>3) Switched from Norton Antivirus to Virus Scan 7.
>

>Since then we experience allot of problems with backups that hang,
>start working and do nothing but occupy the que and prevent other jobs
>from being executed, which leads to 196 (Backup Window Exceeded).
>"
----------------------

Do you have a virusscan on your Master and media servers?  How big is
your backup window?  Seems kind of small, What kind of drives are you
using?  Did you run Fixblaster on all servers that were effected?  One
easy  fix is to increase the backup window, but I think it has something
to do with the scanning of the files.  If you have antivirus installed
on your backup server I would recommend removing it and making sure that
those servers are the most critical servers, just as critical as e-mail.
But backups are definitely going to be slower if realtime scanning is on
b/c as backups are writing the image files are writing every second and
of course then getting scanned.  Actually I wouldn't recommend removing
a/v but lets just say we run a tight shop and I don't allow that on my
box and I keep my box patched.  Make sure you patched your box/s for
ms039 as well.

You can e-mail me if you would like.

As for the other topics on here - I have called an SE that I know and
4.5 does support 3.2 clients.  (if you would like e-mail me and I will
give you the name of the SE at veritas)

Cheers