Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User backup necessary ?

2003-09-05 11:56:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User backup necessary ?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:56:43 -0600
Another option, if you want to do this hot, and if your DB is in archive-log
mode, is to roll through the DB tablespace by tablespace.  We do this on our
hot DB's but it may take a while on your 800G DB (it's difficult to
multistream because you get too many tablespaces in hot-backup mode at once,
unless your DB is mostly read-only).

What we do, therefore on our small instances, because of RMAN complexity and
license expense, is what we call a "rolling hot backup".
  a. Query the database for all tablespace names
  b. For each tablespace, in sequence
     1. query oracle for datafiles related to the tablespace (place in a
file)
     2. place tablespace in hot-backup mode
     3. use bpbackup to send the list of datafiles to netbackup
     4. remove tablespace from hot-backup mode
     5. loop for next tablespace.
  c. Alter control file to trace and send that file via bpbackup, too.
  d. Roll the redo logs.
  e. Send relavent archived redo log files, this is the set that starts from
just before the first tablespace is put into HB mode up to and including the
last one that results from rolling the redo logs.

This makes a whole bunch of images, one per tablespace, that represents a
single backup of the entire database.  To track these as a set, we tie them
together with a keyword based on backup date & instance name.

Restoring is a pain compared to a cold backup because there's a lot of redo
logs to apply to get to a time-consistent image but it does work.

Otherwise, the other poster is correct, your pre-schedule & post schedule
scripts (bpstart_notify & bpend_notify) make great tools to start & stop a
database.  Then you can drive the entire backup from the Netbackup
scheduler.  I've even heard about folks who used the bpstart_notify job to
build a policy-specific include list of filenames so that they can limit the
files backed up on an active basis (rather than using a filelist in the
policy).  This may be good if your files are frequently changing locations
making a static policy filelist difficult.  Note, though, I've never tried
this myself.

HTH - M