Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Adding to my month-end backup

2003-09-02 14:29:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Adding to my month-end backup
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
> For reasons to annoying to recount, I had to run my month-end backup
> the weekend before the end of the month instead of after. In order
> to satisfy certain requirements, I must do an incremental tonight,
> but have it be retained the same as my month-end backups (infinite).
>
> It looks to me like I have 3 options:

> 1 - create a new schedule for the month-end classes that runs on
> Tuesday nights and does an incremental onto month-end tapes with
> infinite retention.
> 2 - modify the regular weekly/daily schedule to use infinite
> retention (and then change it back tomorrow morning).
> 3 - run a regular nightly incremental and then modify the expiration
> dates on the images and then manually eject them and send them
> off-site.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be the
> easiest/safest/most reasonable? Are there other ways of solving the
> problem I haven't thought of?

Stuff to think about:

1) Cumulative vs differential (if you've run any incrementals since
   the full)

2) Restores may want to use said incremental (and full actually).

3) Mixing of retention periods (applies to your option 3 above).

I'd probably leave everything alone, then duplicate any incrementals
that have run since the full (or just the latest cumulative), setting
the new retention and send them offsite.  Then consider duplicating
the monthly full too (or dropping the "full" part, and just making
duplicates once a month, or something so that you're not sending the
original backups offsite).

--
Larry Kingery
         "Would it help to confuse him if we ran away more?"