Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disaster Recovery Sanity Check

2003-08-29 19:00:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disaster Recovery Sanity Check
From: jpyne AT worldatwork DOT org (Jeffrey Pyne)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:00:58 -0700
On Friday, August 29, 2003 10:24 AM, Mark A Terrill wrote:

> The steps regarding the NetBackup installation and recovery
> that we are looking to follow are as follows:
> 1.      After system is up and running with clean version of
> Solaris, install NetBackup Datacenter and configure devices

Don't forget license keys.  We almost forgot them during our last test, and
that would have put a real damper on things.

> 2.      import tapes to be utilized for restores

I restore a catalog backup after re-installing NetBackup.  (We include a
catalog backup each time we send tapes offsite.)  Depending on how big your
database is, that might be easier (and faster) for you.

> 3.      restore files needed to complete D/R Drill

The fun part.

> I just want to make sure that, given the different
> architecture (E15K with attached auto-loader vs E6500 with
> stand-alone drives), importing the tapes would make more
> sense than trying to restore the NetBackup catalogs.

We do our DR testing on a slightly different architecture, too (E4500 with
STK 9710 library vs. E450 with standalone drives), and we have performed
several successful tests.  I set up my standalone drives, import the catalog
(which takes 1/2 hour or so), and then start restoring.  So far we're
batting 1.000 using this technique.

> It also, hopefully will resolve the different hostnames for
> the Master/Media servers in the two configurations.

When we do our DR test at our offsite recovery facility, we use the same
hostnames we use in our datacenter.  That makes the recovery much simpler.

Good luck with your test!

~Jeff