Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Services not shutting down

2003-08-15 02:20:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Services not shutting down
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:20:43 -0700
NetBackup stop scripts have been broken since 4.5GA.  They sort of worked in
3.4 but they have been completely broken in 4.5GA.  That's 14 months.

/etc/init.d/netbackup stop does not stop netbackup fully.  It doesn't even
come close.  bp.kill_all may or may not...since 4.5 it hasn't.  bp.kill_all
often will never exit...usually bpsched processes refuse to die.  I can even
shut down the media servers and there will still be bpsched processes that
won't die by script.

Oh, and the stop script, even bp.kill_all, often won't clean out the shared
memory segments.  ipcs -a will show this.  If you kill the processes, you
have to clean out shared memory manually.

Our rule is if you want to stop NetBackup, you need to reboot (and the media
servers, too).  It's the only way.

> Does anyone know if veritas will take this pattern as a problem?

Veritas has made it clear that they favor new features over reliability.  I
don't mean to be rude, but it's true.  One would think that stopping your
daemons would be a basic, fundamental part of software but Veritas refuses
to address the issue and I long ago tired of asking about it.

-Drew