Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SNMP traps

2003-08-01 08:14:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SNMP traps
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:14:42 -0400

--=_83DD9BA7.12732731

I know software companies are in the business to make money but after rea=
ding the datasheet for SNMP Extension (it seems Veritas has an extension =
for everything) I can't help but think that function should be built into=
 the NBU base product. After spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to=
 build a monitoring environment with Netcool, you've got to spend more mo=
ney for another component just to monitor tape drive and robot status? I =
realize that the SNMP Extension includes NBU, VxFS, VxVM and one other su=
b-system but if I'm a relatively small shop and really only want to monit=
or NBU, what's my incentive to go this way? Anybody got an idea of what i=
t costs and how it's licensed? Why not just use some of David Chapa's scr=
ipts that he's built and made availabl
e to this board?

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=
 right

>>> "Zink, Melanie" <Melanie.Zink AT bankofamerica DOT com> 07/31/2003 6:05:02
>>> P=
M >>>
There is a separate product used with the MIB to generate NBU SNMP traps.=
  It is called SNMP Extension (http://www.veritas.com/van/products/nbusnm=
p.html).  We are using it, and it was fairly easy to get working.  But it=
 was extremely difficult to get all our trap target utilities updated so =
they could process the MIB and alerts accurately.  =20