Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RFC on plan to move Media Servers (longish)

2003-07-30 12:51:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RFC on plan to move Media Servers (longish)
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:51:46 -0400
If some of you more experienced heads would indulge me, I'm hoping for some
contructive critiscism on my (admittedly complex) plan to decommission one
Media Server, add a new Media Server, and move a third Media Server to a backup
datacenter. Anyone who reads through my plan, outlined roughly below, is
welcome to comment on it on the list (for the benefit of others ) or off-list
(to save bandwidth) -- and I will be grateful for all.
   Problem: I have two Media Servers in my data center that I need to change;
call them old1 and old2. I want to bring one of them, old2, to my new backup
data center, and retire old1 (since it's also used as an Oracle app. server) in
favor of a new system, called new1. I also have a third Media Server called
old3 that I'm going to keep as-is.
   The tricky part is that I had been using old1 to handle most of the recent
backups as I brought old3 online, and that I need to take old2 down and not
re-add it for a few weeks. (I also plan to move old1's tape robot and put it on
new1.)
   Any outage on old1 requires two week's notice.
   Environment: All Sun Solaris servers, running 3.4 DC; two Media Servers with
a Sun L9 each, plus a third Media Server with a Sun L25; a separate Master
Server with no tape capacity of its own.
   Plan: I want to bring down old2 and move its tape library (a DLT8000,
nine-tape Sun L9) to new1, and then add new1 to the NBU environment after
transferring all the images to new1. (Q1: Do both systems have to be up &
running when I do this, referencing the instructions in Veritas TechNote #
230047?) Two weeks later, I can transfer all the images on old1 to new1, and
disconnect old1's L9 library. Then, in the new Data Center, I can connect
old1's L9 to old2 and bring it up, and add it fresh to NBU for use only by
systems moving into the backup Data Center.
   Is this overly complex? Should I just transfer all of old2's images to old1,
then get rid of old2 and bring up new1, saving the transfer of old1's tape
library (and the physical relocation of old2) for later?
   Thanks in advance for any feedback. Also, thanks for reading this far;
here's a joke as your reward:
-----
    A dog accompanied his mistress to the theatre. A man watched them as the
dog reacted to the various parts of the movie -- the boring middle, the
shocking intro and, sniffling, the weepy ending.
    The man confronted the lady as they left and asked about the dog's
reactions to the movie.
    The lady said she was confused about it, too, as the dog had hated the book.
-----
   (Sorry, but since this is so long already, I figured I may as well throw it
in -- plus, it's a great joke.)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt