Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] veritas nbu, with vxvm and vxfs - snapshots? other considerations?

2003-07-11 01:00:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] veritas nbu, with vxvm and vxfs - snapshots? other considerations?
From: bevan.broun AT adi-limited DOT com (Broun, Bevan)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:00:03 +1000
I quite new to netbackup.

I have a sun server with 2 A1000 disk arrays. Each A1000 has two raid 5
virtual disks. Each raid 5 virtual disk is a separate veritas disk group.
Each disk group has several veritas volumes defined and a vxfs made on that
volume.

Currently these are being backed up vxdump and we make a snapshot of each
file system and the snap shot gets backed up.

Now Im moving to a dual drive sdlt library and veritas NBU. I need to have
both drives writting as much as possible - I need every bit of backup
performace I can get.

1: Do I need to think about veritas snapshot file systems?

2: It seems to me that I need to have two polices to get both drives
writting and that I must be carefull that the separate policies backup dont
overlap disk groups to avoid disk thrashing. Even better would be to ensure
that the policies matchup to the separate A1000s for even better
performance. My concern here is ease of administation. If a new volume gets
created, it's going to be up to another group to ensure the new file system
gets added to the correct policy - is there any easier way to do this?

3: Any other tips for backup vxvm/vxfs using nbu?

thanks

BB