Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] WHat is the method and impact of changing volume groups?

2003-07-07 13:12:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] WHat is the method and impact of changing volume groups?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:12:14 -0600
Volume Groups are intended to track location of the tape (library, shelf,
offsite, etc.).
Volume Pools are intended to track tape contents.

You seem to use the terms somewhat interchangably.  The volume group can be
easily changed via the GUI or with the "vmchange" command: "vmchange -new_v
<vgname> -m <tapenum>".

Volume pools on assigned tapes are not officially changeable although
there's a hack that lets you work around the limitation.  The official way
to change a pool name is to duplicate the tape to another pool name, then
expire the original tape.

HTH - M