Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VLAN Backups Same as Fire Wall Configuration - t hink not

2003-07-01 10:36:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VLAN Backups Same as Fire Wall Configuration - t hink not
From: CBallowe AT usg DOT com (Ballowe, Charles)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:36:38 -0500
Not quite sure what you're asking here? A VLAN basically makes the group of
ports assigned to it a virtual switch of it's own -- the only way for
packets
to get from one network to another is through a router. If you're using
VLANs
on your switch, though, I don't think your servers are on a "non-VLANed"
portion
of the switch, but rather on a default VLAN - and your other servers are on
one
that your created and assigned (at least as far as the switch is concerned).

So -- what do you expect to gain by having a VLAN that has not route to
other
subnets under your control - especially if you're hosting your netbackup
servers
on it?

-Charlie