Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RedHat 9.0 Client Backup Problems

2003-06-30 12:49:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RedHat 9.0 Client Backup Problems
From: jmc AT ksu DOT edu (James Chacon)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:49:32 -0400 (EDT)
  Send mail to mime AT docserver.cac.washington DOT edu for more info.

---559023410-851401618-1056991772=:26438

Ok, this can be made to work but obviously you're on your own support
wise...

The problem with it on 9 is versioning of libraries it's compiled against.
So, most of the commands spit out this warning:

Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly.
Needs to be fixed.

Experimentation showed this actually will work, but the reason you're
seeing errors is that error gets spit back to the bptm process which is
expecting 512 byte blocks and now the 1st block has an extra 91-92 bytes
in it.

The other catch is this isn't on stderr, but stdout so you can't simply
redirect output to make it go away.

Here was my solution (which is working for us fine).

filter.c (attached) strips the first 92 bytes off the output and then as
fast as it can reads 8k in/out.

These are the commands which need help:

bparchive  bpbkar  bpclimagelist  bpjava-usvc
bpbackup   bpcd    bpjava-msvc    bplist

So my script to replace bpbkar for instance is:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbkar+ | /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/filter

(i.e. rename bpbkar to bpbkar+ first and then drop this script in place of
it).

After all the commands are done this way backups run fine. I have a
problem with bp core-dumping when trying to get the file list for restores
but doing server recoveries or alternate client recoveries solves that
problem.

In short, don't convert a bunch of boxes to RH9 and do this, but for 1-2
to do some initial testing on this at least ensures you have backups until
the real client support is in MP5 or something.

James

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Briscoe, Brian (B.) wrote:
>
> > Looking on the Veritas Support site I cannot find anything on whether RedHat
> > 9 is supported, but I'm hoping somebody out there can help.......
> >
> Brian,
>
> A couple people (including myself) have been trying to get NetBackup
> running on RH9 to no avail.  The hardware support matrix mentions
> support for RH8, but RH9 is not listed as supported, even up to
> NB4.5mp4.  Last I heard, a Veritas rep mentioned that RH9 support will
> be included in an upcoming service pack.
>
> I had to take my client back to RH8.
>
> Take care,

> Casey Feskens <cfeskens AT willamette DOT edu>
> System Administrator/Network Svcs. Consultant
> Willamette University, Salem, OR

---559023410-851401618-1056991772=:26438
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---559023410-851401618-1056991772=:26438--