Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 54

2003-06-22 17:15:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 54
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:15:00 -0400 (EDT)
> Has anybody come across error status 54? (server UNIX, client WinNT
> cluster).  I verified network communications: ping works, but
> 'bpclntcmd -pn' hangs, as well as locally initiated backups -
> nothing gets recorded in local logs, nothing can be seen with snoop.
> I added server, client names into local etc/hosts files but it did
> not help.  there is no firewall.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Glen

During backup, there are two sockets opened between media server and
client.  The first is from media server to client, and instructs the
client that the media server will be listening on a certain port for
the client to open a new connection.  In the case of error 54, it is
this second connection that fails.

You can enable the bpcd log on the client and see which port it's
trying to connect to.  I'd also look at 'netstat -an' (or the equiv)
on the client during the backup attempt.

Top causes of 54 in my experience:

1) Name resolution issues.  It takes a bit of work, but you can get a
   54 with the "right" misconfiguration.

2) Routing.  Media server has route to client, but client can't get
   back to media server.  One possibility here is if you use
   REQUIRED_INTERFACE and that interface doesn't have connectivity to
   the interface on the media server.

3) Firewalls (which you said you didn't have).

--
Larry Kingery
          Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.