Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 backing up multihomed servers

2003-06-18 21:28:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 backing up multihomed servers
From: Dwayne.Brzozowski AT mail.va DOT gov (Brzozowski, Dwayne)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:28:33 -0500
I am doing this type of backups. It's a little tricky but doable. In the NBU
policy, make note of the client in the policy, either going to multihomed B
or A. In the hosts file on the master server, that client name in the policy
must match the ip address the server is going to access. The reason I say
hosts file, is I have 2 separate networks, public and private, much like
your A and B. My private all have host entries because they are not in dns.
Anyway back to the discussion. On the client, the hosts file must have the
server/ip of the multihome address it will back up over, and the NBU master
server name and ip. Also, this master server name must be in the client's
bp.conf. To test all of this once completed, on the client, run
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -pn. If this takes more than a second or
two, run a traceroute to make sure the right addresses are being used.
Here's the diagram of what I am talking about:

Example:

NBU Master server:
NBU policy-MultiHome_Backup, client name=servername_nb
/etc/hosts->192.168.10.10       servername_nb   #secondary nic for backing
client on gigabit network B

servername_nb client:
/etc/hosts-->path to NBU master server, ip/subnet that works best
                --> 192.168.10.10       servername_nb   #hostname that NBU
master knows

bp.conf
CLIENT_NAME=servername_nb
SERVER=same as in /etc/hosts on client

then run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -pn on client

Hope this helps.

Dwayne J. Brzozowski
Department of Veterans Affairs
Austin Automation center