Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape drives disappearing

2003-06-11 12:10:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape drives disappearing
From: paul.esson AT redstor DOT com (Paul Esson)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:10:53 +0100
Folks,

Has anyone ever come across the following?

My customer has a NetBackup DataCenter 3.4 installation + SSO with a UNIX (Sun
Solaris 2.6) Master
Server and a number of UNIX (Sun Solaris 2.6) and Windows (2000 SP3) Media/SAN
Media Servers.  The
Windows Servers share access to 4 x LTO-1 drives in an ADIC Scalar 1000 via 2 x
Chaparral FC-SCSI
routers and 1 x Brocade 2800 switch using QLogic 2300 HBAs.  The tape driver is
the Veritas HalfInch driver.

Periodically, one or more tape drives disappear from one or more of the Windows
Servers and we have to reboot
to recover.  We have checked out the SSO configuration to Veritas' satisfaction
and confirmed firmware versions
with ADIC, Chaparral, Brocade and QLogic.  We have even had a debug driver from
QLogic and captured the event
but their firmware and driver don't detect any error.  Microsoft say the OS
detects a device error but usually the
same device is seen by all the other servers.  We applied 3.4 patch 4 and
enabled SCSI Reserve-Release recently
but that had no obvious impact as issue persists.

I can't honestly see how issues with NetBackup could cause the OS to loose
access to a physical device but
wondered if something in the SSO might be contributing?

Regards,

Paul Esson
Senior Support Engineer
Redstor Limited

"Delivering Value by Reducing the
Cost of Storing and Managing Data"

Direct Dial:    +44 (0) 1224 595381
Fax:            +44 (0) 1224 ******
Mobile:         +44 (0) 7766 906514
E-Mail:         paul.esson AT redstor DOT com
Web:            http://www.redstor.com

REDSTOR LIMITED
Torridon House
73-75 Regent Quay
Aberdeen
UK
AB11 5AR

Disclaimer:
The information included in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is
intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended addressee, any
disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or
otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality.