Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog uncompression during a restore

2003-06-11 08:23:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog uncompression during a restore
From: WBedour AT lear DOT com (BeDour, Wayne)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:23:37 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C33014.48F68320

We are running NetBackup FP 4.5 on hpux 11.i, 1 master/media and 1 media
server.  Here is my issue / question / quandary.  I needed to do a couple
restores yesterday going back to Feb. 2002.  From what I understand with the
compressed catalog it needs to uncompress it to find the files it needs to
do the restore.  My db's filesystem had a total of 8,388,608 kb and was
about 54% before the restore.  It took me a few tries before I found the
files I needed but during these tries my db filesystem filled up.  We took
everything down, extended the filesystem to 12,580,192 kb and after a
database backup last night I'm down to 25% full (4,098,232 kb db size).

What worries me is I don't have a good feel for how much space will be
needed for uncompressing my catalog during restores.  Until yesterday  I
thought I was good with close to 4 gb free.  Is there a way that I can point
where NetBackup does it's uncompressing so it doesn't do it in the db
directory?  I don't want to get into this situation again where I need to do
a restore but I can't because I need disk space to uncompress the catalog.

Thanks in advance, I'm open to any comments, ideas, thoughts or whatever.

Wayne BeDour
IT Unix System Administrator
PH: 313-240-3374  FAX:  313-240-3065
Outlook:  wbedo
Internet:  wbedour AT lear DOT com

**********************
** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
**********************

This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete this E-mail message from your computer.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C33014.48F68320

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {color:#606420;
        text-decoration:underline;}
        {margin-right:0in;
        margin-left:0in;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman";}
span.EmailStyle17
        {font-family:Arial;
        color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
        {page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

font-family:Arial'>We are running NetBackup FP 4.5 on hpux 11.i, 1 master/media
and 1 media server.&nbsp; Here is my issue / question / quandary.&nbsp; I
needed to do a couple restores yesterday going back to Feb. 2002.&nbsp; From
what I understand with the compressed catalog it needs to uncompress it to find
the files it needs to do the restore.&nbsp; My db's filesystem had a
total of 8,388,608 kb and was about 54% before the restore.&nbsp; It took me a
few tries before I found the files I needed but during these tries my db
filesystem
filled up.&nbsp; We took everything down, extended the filesystem to 12,580,192
kb and after a database backup last night I'm down to 25% full (4,098,232

font-family:Arial'>What worries me is I don't have a good feel for how
much space will be needed for uncompressing my catalog during restores.&nbsp;
Until
yesterday &nbsp;I thought I was good with close to 4 gb free.&nbsp; Is there a
way that I can point where NetBackup does it's uncompressing so it doesn't
do it in the db directory?&nbsp; I don't want to get into this situation
again where I need to do a restore but I can't because I need disk space

font-family:Arial'>Thanks in advance, I'm open to any comments, ideas,

Arial;color:black'>PH: 313-240-3374&nbsp; FAX:&nbsp; 313-240-3065</span></font>

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **