Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 4.5 and vm.conf and REQUIRED_INTERFACES

2003-06-06 11:39:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 4.5 and vm.conf and REQUIRED_INTERFACES
From: pcd AT xinupro DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:39:18 -0400
Have a customer with 4.5 DC and MP4, there are three hosts,

host = alpha
   Master/Media
   E450
   Sol 2.8
   backup net = alpha-bkup
   vm/da host

host = beta
   Media Server
    E10K
   Sol 2.6
   backup net = beta-bkup

host = gamma
   Media Server
   E10K
   Sol 2.6
   backup net = gamma-bkup

Each host has multiple net connections including a dedicated
backup communications net. In addition, SSO is in place.
In the vm.conf file I have "REQUIRED_INTERFACE = <host>-bkup"
since that is allowed in 4.5 now.  On host alpha and beta, everything
works fine and vmd communication take place over the backup net.
Now when I place the "REQUIRED_INTERFACE = gamma-bkup"
in the vm.conf, we get these problems:

-on startup, ltid kicks of vmd then it kills itself
-perform a "vmquery -h alpha-bkup -a" and vmquery dumps core
-vmd communication from alpha-bkup to gamma-bkup fails

I checked all the things I could such as /etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.com
/etc/system, the NetBackup install, the maintenance pack install...

When I leave the entry out of vm.conf, communications go over the
default LAN interface (which will eventually be locked down)
and everything performs fine.

Anyone see anything like this elsewhere?

Thanks
Peter DrakeUnderkoffler