Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] TLD drive marks down by Netbackup...

2003-06-03 23:05:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] TLD drive marks down by Netbackup...
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 20:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
> One more change was changing the drives from dlt3 to dlt2. I have an
> Quantum SDLT (320GB) drives.  I do not know the difference b/w dlt2
> and dlt3. Does any one knows ????

There's no difference except to you.

NBU provides several different 'DLT' types.  Tapes labeled in one drive
will not be selected for use in a different drive.  This allows you to
have (for example) a DLT 7000 and a DLT 8000 in the same robot.

NBU doesn't need to know which is which, because the OS takes care of
the drivers and how to access them.  NBU just needs to know enough not
to stick a tape with a DLT8000 density into a DLT7000 drive.

Note that it won't work the other way, either.  Even though you could
use a DLT8000 drive to restore from a DLT7000 tape, NBU just knows
they're different types and won't attempt such a thing.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company