Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Combination library and standalone drive setups?

2003-05-29 17:56:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Combination library and standalone drive setups?
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:56:29 -0700 (PST)
I could use some pointers or advice on something related to something
I'm considering for my NetBackup installation.  We've been handling all
of our backups and restores using an automated tape library.  We'd like
to use two standalone drives for restoring data from a fairly large set
of infrequently accessed tapes.

If we kick off a restore that requires tapes that aren't in the library,
is there a way to specify that the standalone drives be used?  Or is it
just a matter of popping the correct tape into one of the standalone
drives, and NetBackup will handle the restore once it reads the on-tape
volume ID?

And sort of a follow-on question... do the standalone drives have to be
connected to the same media server as the tape library on which they
were created?  Recent discussions here tend to lead me to believe this
is the case, but I'd much rather put them on their own media server.

Thanks for any help.

-brian.