Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore using a different media server

2003-05-13 20:42:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore using a different media server
From: jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com (Jon Bousselot)
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:42:00 -0700
The bpmedia command is what I used to do this.  (NB 4.5 FP3,
Solaris8/SUN and RH Linux 8/x86)

bpmedia -movedb -m (mediaID) -oldserver (oldservername) -newserver
(newservername) -v

./bpimagelist -L -backupid (the long name and number for the backup image)
will give you a long listing of the tapes required for the image, and
will tell you which media server they are ascociated.

I had an old AIT-2 image that spanned 7 tapes, and it took me a while to
figure out how to get this to work correctly.  It's important that you
move ALL the tapes related to the image to the new server, or you'll get
bptm messages that say "requested number of drives are not configured".

We migrated operations from AIT to LTO over a year ago, and I let all
the tapes expire.  Then somebody decided they wanted a file from one of
those tapes.
I wrote a script that reads the indexes from all 120 tapes in the
library, which handles the first part of the import process.  Then I
picked the image that would likely have the file I need to restore.
Rebuilding the index and catalog on a different server did not change
the media server that owned it.  I guessed (incorrectly) that since my
master server could see and control the new box hosting the AIT library,
it would just allocate the request for an AIT read, and load the tape.
Since all the images currently written on AIT were once owned by the now
LTO-only media server, I'll have to change the db entries for all my TL8
tapes.  I think that's scriptable.

After I changed all the tapes related to the image, the restore request
found the one tape I needed, and put the file back.

-Jon

Has anyone successfully used the bp.conf entries for these?
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER
FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVERS