Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] best practises for catalogue/index storage and backup

2003-05-09 01:11:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] best practises for catalogue/index storage and backup
From: brounb AT adi-limited DOT com (Broun, Bevan)
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:11:50 +1000
hi

Im quite new to veritas netbackup, I had previously used legato networker
so I might get some terminology wrong but Im sure you get the idea.

Im about to implement netbackup at a few of our sites. At two of the big
sites the master (and only media) server will be a solaris box, which is
the file server for the site. Both these boxes use Veritas VM and FS for
the user disk areas and ufs on disksuite mirrors for the OS and software.

With my previous legato setup I would keep the index information and the
OS/software backed up using the OS tools and on disks that are completely
controlled by OS supplied utils. In this case it would be using disksuite
rather that veritas VM for mirroring of the disks performing a separate
backup of the OS/software and indexes using ufsdump. Ofcourse NetBackup
would also backup the OS/Software and indexes - the ufsdump is just for
emergencies.

What are other people doing?

Thanks

BB