Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] formating tapes

2003-05-10 03:29:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] formating tapes
From: veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 03:29:35 -0400 (EDT)
Do you want to actually erase the data from the tape or just have Veritas
forget that there's anything there?

If the latter try this:

"NETBACKUP_HOME/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -m MEDIA_ID -d 0".

You didn't say whether you're using Windows or UNIX so I'll leave
it to you to find NetBackup's home area.

If the former then the answer really depends on how erased you want it to
be.  Enough that your co-workers can't read it?  Competitors?  The NSA?
If you're on a UNIX system the simplest thing would probably be to dd
/dev/zero to the tape several times, though the NSA and well-heeled
competition will still probably be able to get data off of it if they
really want to.

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Sen wrote:

> hi all,
> is there a way to erase and format a tape in Netbackup 3.4 ?

-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
"All HELL would break loose if time got hacked." - Bill Kearney 02-04-03
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
   ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---