Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mixing netbackups - 2 situations

2003-05-09 01:05:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mixing netbackups - 2 situations
From: jv711 AT yahoo DOT com (JV)
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 22:05:19 -0700 (PDT)
>We want to convert this server to one of our NetbackupBusinessServer

>Do I have to get the "Netbackup for MS Exchange Server 4.5" agent
>(additional cost) or can I just use the standard Netback
>for this server since I'm already backing up the mailboxes locally.

If you want to backup the Information Store (db) while the Exchange
app is running you need the Exchange/SQL agent. If you can shut the
db down during the duration of the backup you can get away with not
buying the extra feature.

You should think about/bring up to management
the frequency at which you backup the mailboxes / transaction logs /
Info Store and your ability to recover them to a specific point in
time. Executives who consider their Exchange calendar and it's
syncronization to their Blackberry/Palm "mission critical" to the
organization found it easy to spring for the Exchange license when
the alternative was 2-4 hours of downtime per backup, and week-slice
granularity for recovery. Your companies' mileage & pocketbook may
vary.