Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re:Questions on Netbackup Vaulting

2003-05-02 12:02:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re:Questions on Netbackup Vaulting
From: vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com (vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com)
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:02:07 -0500
Wayne
I apologize for any inconvenience caused by addressing his email  to you.I
saw your email yesterday in which you said that you had just set up
Vaulting on NetBackup 4.5 and as such i have the following questions for
you  which you may please answer at your earliest convenience.

Currently i have setup four separate volume pools A-onsite,  A-offsite,
B-Catalog-onsite, B-catalog-offsite. My question is I dont want  Netbackup
to use the media in the NetBackup volume pool for performing  daily
incremental and weekly full backups of the four client's whose backups
which i  intend to keep onsite .
           But since there is no way of specifying the client machines at
the policy level but only at the profile level, how do i make netbackup
know that it needs to use the A-onsite  volume pool for the original
backups which i intend to keep onsite and  use duplicate  pool A-offsite
for vaulting after the duplication is done. I have currently been able to
select the  A-offsite pool for the duplication when i create the profile,
but i am not sure as to how to specify the A-onsite pool for Netbackup to
use for my daily backups which are to be keep onsite. My concern is I am
afraid that Netbackup would use the media from the Netbackup volume pool to
put  the original onsite backups of my  four client machines which would
subseqently  get intermixed with client backups which i dont intend to
vault  . I  have a similar question even with my catalogs which i want to
have both onsite and offsite.Any suggestion's or ideas would be highly
appreciated.

BTW thanks for the suggestion on changing retention level.I was able to get
what i wanted as per your directions.

Thanks again for any help received

.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Vallish  S .Anantha
     Cap Gemini Ernst & Young
     Infrastructure Team {SAN & UNIX Admin}
     Dallas Accelerated Delivery Center
     Direct : 972-556-7510
     Cell :469-877-4557

     CGEYComm: 3682626
     vallish.s.anantha AT cgey DOT com
     AIM -ID: vsananth69

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
and is the property of the Cap Gemini/Ernst & Young Group.  It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy,
disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete all copies of this message