Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unable to 'up' the drive, sgscan problem...

2003-05-01 16:29:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unable to 'up' the drive, sgscan problem...
From: Louis-Luc Le Guerrier <leguerri AT Canr.Hydro.Qc DOT Ca> (Louis-Luc Le Guerrier)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:29:59 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,
I'm trying to configure Veritas 3.4 to use the Exabyte 8500
tape drive, as a standalone unit.

I'm trying to configure it as a stand-alone drive, using it's
path /dev/rmt/1bn. It works in plain UNIX with the 'mt'
command, and 'tar' as well, but with Veritas, I'm unable
to give it the status UP
When I type 'vmoprcmd -up 0', I get back the prompt, but
about 10 seconds later, I get a message on the console saying
something like "avrd[287]: unable to open Drive0 (<device
path>) through sg drive. No such device or address, DOWN'ing
it"

When I do the 'sgscan' command, I get an error message for
each possible target and no device is listed, not even the
disks. It says the /dev/sg/c0t#l0 can't be opened.

I've also tried sg.build to fix it, but it doesn't solve
this problem.

Anyone has a clue? (is this Exabyte 8500 drive supported?)

Thanks for helping.
Louis-Luc