Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Firewall Ports - Which ones?

2003-04-30 10:34:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Firewall Ports - Which ones?
From: jtaylor AT ithaca DOT edu (Jeremy Taylor)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:34:09 -0400
Hi Tina,

I am currently dealing with a very similar situation and am quickly
getting confused and overwhelmed too, NB uses so many ports!  I have not
configured much yet (except an attempt at using vnetd - more below) so
it's all in the theory stage still.  The NB 4.5 docs have quite an
extensive description of ports, network communication, and firewall
configuration but it sounds like they may not be all that helpful.  You
may want to check out the option of using vnetd which does all the port
translation at the system level and therefore only requires one port
(13724) opened up on a firewall.  **However this option did not work for
me because our firewall incorporates NAT which will not work for vnetd.
  Unfortunately I had to find that out after tons of testing and
document reading...ahh!

Anyway I know I didn't give you much help but I will share info as I get
it and keep an eye out on this list...
-jeremy