Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Millions of small files with Solaris clie nt & server

2003-04-23 07:01:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Millions of small files with Solaris clie nt & server
From: Colin.Smith AT motorola DOT com (Smith Colin-WCCS07)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:01:53 +0100
The bottleneck will be the OS filesystem code. Backup the device the filesystem
is on rather than the filesystem itself. It needs to be quiescent though,
mirror and break is a common method.

BTW, if a page is 8k in size, 2000 pages/sec is 16Mb/sec which could in fact be
the I/O throughput limit on your swap space. IIRC, the default page size in
Solaris is 8k. I'm not convinced I would call that "mildly pages".

HTH.

Regards
Colin.