Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 Failing to recognize exclude_list on Sol

2003-04-11 13:55:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 Failing to recognize exclude_list on Sol
From: kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:55:06 -0700 (PDT)
Kate --

I find your logic a bit flawed.  NetBackup puts job in the scheduler queue
right when the backup window opens, even before contacting the client system.
Since the exclude_list is on the client, the master server doesn't even
know of its existence until the job actually starts.  Having to make contact
with the client prior to queuing a job would introduce lots of delays, which
could be horrendous if there were hundreds of clients in a backup enterprise.

> Message: 10
> From: "Greenberg, Katherine A" <GreenbergKA AT aetna DOT com>
> To: "'fperetmere AT adic DOT com'" <fperetmere AT adic DOT com>,
>    veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 Failing to recognize exclude_list on Sol
>        aris
> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:05:52 -0400
>
> Thanks!
>
> I realized it was (more or less) me being stupid and VERITAS writing crappy
> software...
>
> Here's what I found:
>
> Create the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbkar directory and every file system
> creates a job, but after each job is created it checks against the Exclude
> list to determine if that needs to be backed up or not. I was getting
> confused b/c on this particular system the Exclude list has about 120
> filesystems in it and the jobs were still getting *generated*. (It's an
> ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES variable being passed in the Policy)
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have Scheduler look to an exclude list before
> it generates the job list for a particular system?!?!?!?!
>
> As always, more fun through NetBackup :)
>
> ~Kate

--Kathy
kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu