Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup image size limited to < 1TB?

2003-04-10 14:11:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup image size limited to < 1TB?
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:11:08 -0700 (PST)
I just ran into a rather annoying limitation of NetBackup 3.4 on
Solaris.  I'm in the process of archiving a sizable collection of data.
After many hours of running one of the backup jobs I'm running errored
out with "(130) system error occurred".  The log file ends with:

  10:21:15 ERR - Backup exceeds 1 terabytes in size.
  10:23:22 INF - Backup by root on client rossum using class mtx_cl_arch:
    system error occurred.

The data set being archived in question is a relatively small subset of
a much larger (dozens of TB) worth of data that's being archived to
tape.  We do have the option of breaking it down into smaller subsets,
but that means we have to calculate the data sizes in advance to make
sure each backup will be less than a TB in size.  I'd prefer the
system to just take what I damn well please to feed it.

At the very least, since NetBackup seems to track the number based on
the kilobytes in the backup, I'd have expected this sort of limit to be
imposed at the natural limits of a signed or unsigned 32-bit integer,
2^31-1 KB (2TB) or 2^32-1 KB (4TB), as opposed to what appears to be a
somewhat arbitrary 2^30 KB (1TB).

Is there a way around this backup image size limit?

-brian.