Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] full running twice

2003-04-07 13:05:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] full running twice
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:05:35 -0700

Environment:      NBU 3.2
            Solaris 2.5.1 master with STK9714 library
            Solaris 7 client

I have an odd situation in which a full backup which I set up is running
twice, simultaneously. Shown below is the class definition. You will notice
that the "full" and "cinc" schedules have a frequency of "every 1 day" but
no windows at all. I actually invoke the "full" and "cinc" schedules with a
cron job that runs Saturday morning at 8:00. The cron job executes a script
which determines the day of the month, selects the "full" schedule for the
first Saturday and the "cinc" schedule for other Saturdays, then executes
the command

      bpbackup  -i -c vault -s $SCHEDULE -k "${KEYWORD}"

I expected three jobs to be created this past Saturday, one for each of the
new streams. But six jobs were started instead. Two jobs for each of the
file systems and both of the jobs backed up the entire file system, so I
got double the backups, and it took a whole lot longer than it should have.
Three of the jobs were writing to one tape drive while the other three
wrote to another tape drive, like so

      home200 + home201 + home202  ---> MPX ---> drive 1

      home200 + home201 + home202  ---> MPX ---> drive 2

The backups ran fine, each job backed up the identical number of bytes, and
each set used 7 DLTIV cartridges for a total of 14. But like I said
already, it took a long time and my management is going to get cranky if I
keep using so many tapes.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? What might be causing this? It does not
happen with the daily incremental backups.

Jeff Dykzeul
Raytheon
El Segundo CA USA

**********  start class definition  **********
Class Name:        vault

  Class Type:          Standard
  Active:              yes
  Client Compress:     no
  Follow NFS Mounts:   no
  Cross Mount Points:  no
  Collect TIR info:    no
  Block Incremental:   no
  Mult. Data Streams:  yes
  Client Encrypt:      no
  Class Priority:      0
  Max Jobs/Class:      99
  Disaster Recovery:   0
  Residence:           stk
  Volume Pool:         vault_backup_full
  Keyword:             (none specified)

  HW/OS/Client:  Solaris       Solaris7      vault_host

  Include:  NEW_STREAM
            /export/home200
            NEW_STREAM
            /export/home201
            NEW_STREAM
            /export/home202

  Schedule:          full
    Type:            Full Backup
    Frequency:       every 1 day
    Maximum MPX:     3
    Retention Level: 8 (1 year)
    Residence:       (specific storage unit not required)
    Volume Pool:     (same as class volume pool)
    Daily Windows:

  Schedule:          cinc
    Type:            Cumulative Incremental Backup
    Frequency:       every 1 day
    Maximum MPX:     3
    Retention Level: 6 (6 months)
    Residence:       (specific storage unit not required)
    Volume Pool:      vault_backup_cinc
    Daily Windows:

  Schedule:          inc
    Type:            Differential Incremental Backup
    Frequency:       every 1 day
    Maximum MPX:     7
    Retention Level: 3 (1 month)
    Residence:       (specific storage unit not required)
    Volume Pool:      vault_backup_incr
    Daily Windows:
          Sunday     21:00:00  -->  Sunday     23:00:00
          Monday     21:00:00  -->  Monday     23:00:00
          Tuesday    21:00:00  -->  Tuesday    23:00:00
          Wednesday  21:00:00  -->  Wednesday  23:00:00
          Thursday   21:00:00  -->  Thursday   23:00:00
          Friday     21:00:00  -->  Friday     23:00:00
**********  end class definition  **********