Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Offsiting Without Vault Option?

2003-04-04 11:41:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Offsiting Without Vault Option?
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:41:30 -0600
So they aren't planning on duplicating tapes then if they only have 1 tape
drive, right?

#1 Best Practice - Duplicate your images for DR purposes, otherwise you risk
major exposure.

Having said that, I would strongly suggest that they either buy extra DISK
SPACE and backup to disk so they can:

1. Dupe to Tape (twice - on for onsite one for off, this can be done because
disk is a random access media versus sequential like tape)
2. Expire disk image (in order to free up space for subsequent backup jobs.

OR

Buy another tape drive so they can do tape-to-tape duplication.

Boy there's a lot of PS potential with your client here if they want you to
script this.  Here are some thoughts of how I would go about it.

After you have identified what tapes/mediaIDs are candidates for offsite:

1.  employ VOLUME GROUPS to ease tracking of the media while offsite, in
transit or in the library.
2.  take a look at vmquery -w, there are 41 fields in this thing, if you
need the descriptors check my website, it will be posted there soon
3.  use vmquery to update the fields you find useful for your situation.
4.  also may want to think about your "own" flat file DB if the return dates
of these tapes exceed that of the expiration date of the images.  If not you
can get the expiration date with bpmedialist -ev MEDIAID -L | grep
expiration for each media ID.
5.  If expiration and return dates match, use something like this to
identify what tapes have been "de-assigned" and are due to return:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -bx -v $VOLUME_GROUP |
tail +4 | awk '{print $1, $12}' |
while read EVSN TASSGN
do
if  [ "$TASSGN == "---" ];then
echo "$EVSN has expired and is available for reuse"
else
echo "$EVSN is currently assigned"
fi
done

* VOLUME_GROUP=OFFSITE for example

6. Build a pick list from the results,etc.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.  Call/email me directly if
you have any questions.

David

David A. Chapa
DataStaff, Inc.