Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [Veritas-bu]nonroot access & jnbSA busted

2003-04-03 19:11:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [Veritas-bu]nonroot access & jnbSA busted
From: kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:11:37 -0800 (PST)
I had to do the following to get non-root administration to work
completely in my backup
enterprise which has a Solaris 8 NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 master and
media server:

Here's a sample of my /usr/openv/java/auth.conf which I copied to ALL
client systems from which I knew administrative access was needed.

    root ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
    user1 ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
    user2 ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
    * ADMIN=JBP JBP=ENDUSER+BU+ARC

Then I also had to copy the following /usr/openv/var/authorize.txt to
the same client systems:

    *:*:nb:::userok
    *:*:root:local::userok

I also had to get a special java "jar" file and a special bpcd binary
for the media management to become functional.  I was unable to
post it to this list for exceeding size restrictions.

Below is a script that I used to push everything to the client systems:

for client in <client list>
do
echo "Updating $client ..."
echo ""

scp -p /usr/openv/java/auth.conf  $client:/usr/openv/java/.
scp -p /usr/openv/var/authorize.txt  $client:/usr/openv/var/.
ssh $client "mv /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd.45"
scp -p /usr/openv/java/nbjP.jar  $client:/usr/openv/java/.
scp -p /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd  $client:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/.

I have patched my servers to MP2 and neither the njbP.jar nor the
java-fixed-bpcd was included..   I don't know if MP3 has the necessary
files.  Since things are working OK for me, I'm in no hurry to futz with
NetBackup patching.

By the way, I absolutely HATE the java gui.  AND the release notes
recommend running it on systems having at least 512 MB ram.  I get
absolutely NO RESPONSE in the gui when I run it on my NetBackup master
(which has more than 512 MB but less than 1GB).

-- Kathy
kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu