Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help needed for reply in this list: and a tip for "Data Lost For Good?"

2003-03-27 10:21:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help needed for reply in this list: and a tip for "Data Lost For Good?"
From: Louis-Luc Le Guerrier <leguerri AT Canr.Hydro.Qc DOT Ca> (Louis-Luc Le Guerrier)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:21:17 -0500 (EST)
Hello,
I am receiving a digest for messages on this list, and I
have some questions about how to reply and receive this
digest.

/********
First, I read about the person writing "Data Lost For Good?"
article. I would suggest that person to try the following to
try and recover some or all of the August 2002 data for ABC:
- Gather all the expired tapes which have not been overwritten
(the overwritten ones are probably not recoverable).
- For each tape, try the Veritas 'tar' command by hand and
extract everything from every image on the media:
  % mt -f <drive_path> rewind
  % tar xvf <drive_path> (or the appropriate options: don't
know by heart right away)
  % mt -f <drive_path> asf 1
  % tar xvf <drive_path>
  % mt -f <drive_path> asf 2
  etc...

I suggest to make a directory for each tar extraction, and
can be used on a standalone drive.
This is very long, but probably the only way to recover the
data.
********/

Now, my problem...

I'd like to know how to receive the digest, while truncating
all the HTML code and/or attachments we often find between
messages. I read the digest in plain text, and I find it
annoying to have to scroll down this HTML attachments. It
would be
more convenient for me just to have the plain text, because
I use a small window to read it with my defined large print
font (I'm a low-vision person).

And my second question is how to reply from a message included
in the digest? Example, what should I do to reply to message
5 only, invoke the mailer and copy the original text, while
writing the RE: <text> in the subject line.

Thank you for your help...

Louis-Luc