Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris Master server recovery using veritas

2003-02-16 10:22:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris Master server recovery using veritas
From: ssesar AT rcn DOT com (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:22:11 -0500
On Sunday 16 February 2003 09:42, nawir wrote:
> Steven your solution is very good.
> I want to know how big hard disk space I need to prepare if I want to keep
> a catalog for 90 tapes of DLT 80GB max compressed with 3 month retention
> period.
> My current setting is to store catalog to tape instead of root hd because
> my root hd only 1gb space left.
> Can I still use rsync method since the database will going to tape not to
> /usr/openv.
> If can't, can I set alternate catalog save to a NFS mount point.
> If yes, how does it work. Will it save catalog in both tape and nfs or it
> will save 1st catalog into tape and 2nd catalog into nfs and so on
>
> thanks

A couple of things:

Where you back up your catalog, is irrelevant, in my solution. I back mine up
to tape, as well. I don't think that you would want to back your catalog up
to the same disk that it resides on, anyway.

In terms of disk space, it's not how many tapes/tape capacity that drives this
decision. In my system, /opt/openv is ~45G, and sits on a ~100G partition. On
my master server, what I have done is concatenated 3 - 36G drives, and
mounted the resultant space on /opt/openv.

So, I did the same thing on a media server, which lives in a different
building. Concatted 3 - 36G drives, but over there, I mount it on
/opt/backup. rsync mirrors master_server:/opt/openv to
media_server:/opt/backup.

As you see, the entire NBU directory structure is getting mirrored via rsync.
Catalogs, and all.

--Steve