Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Server Size Recommendations

2003-02-14 18:20:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Server Size Recommendations
From: tanber AT intel DOT com (Tanber, Todd N)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:20:03 -0800
Mike,

Originally we ran dual processor systems but experienced the same performance
issues that you ran into. Currently we run 4 way Xeon systems as our Media
servers. What we found is that the CPUs and RAM are now sufficient but the
bottleneck becomes the PCI bus. Each of our system's is running dual HBA's, (2)
Gigabit network cards and a single Fast Ethernet card. We also multistream and
multiplex jobs concurrently, sometimes we set multiplexing to 5 jobs per drive.

Good luck,
Todd