Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] assigned vs reserved

2003-02-09 13:07:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] assigned vs reserved
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:07:50 +0100 (MET)
Hi Jeff,

- assigned
  NetBackup has assigned a tape drive to a media server for a particular
  mount request.

- reserved
  bptm on a media server has issued a SCSI reserve command to the tape
  drive. After reserve, the tape drive rejects read/write requests from other
  initiators than the initiator that issued the reserve. This is to protect
  usage of a tape drive by multiple hosts at the same time.

About correlation: AFAIK, vmdareq queries the vmd/DA host, which is normally
the
volume database host which, in turn, is normally the master server. The vmd/DA
host manages the availability of the drives amongst the different mediaservers.
Normally, vmd on a media server queries the vmd/DA host and updates the local
database accordingly. Vmoprcmd determines the drive status by this local stored
database. Therefore, the output of vmoprcmd should "follow" the output of
vmdareq.

I believe I have exact the same problem as you do/did: 5 45_MP2 media servers
running Solaris. Some of them, sometimes, do not issue a SCSI release command
after a backup is finished. Therefore , the drive is not usable by other media
servers and are eventually DOWNned. We "fix" this by running 'vmoprcmd
-crawlreleasebyname <drivename>' and 'vmoprcmd -upbyname' on the locked
tapedrives.

Would you mind sharing some more information (possibly offline) regarding this
problem?

Best regards,

Joost