Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Images Catalog Questions

2003-02-05 12:40:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Images Catalog Questions
From: veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:40:11 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Paul Boatman wrote:

> Hey guys (and gals),
>
> We are currently at 72% diskspace used on our Master Server. We also
> are looking at possibly doubling our clients on that server and on our
> media server. My questions for the groups are:
>
> 1. Is there any way to store the images catalog on the Media Server
> instead of the master ?

Not via Veritas.  The location of the catalog is really what defines the
master server.  Now, you could move the catalog to another system or NAS
device and map it that way (NFS or CIFS) but I wouldn't recommend it.
It'll kill performance and make the system generally less reliable.  I
would either add disk space to the master or upgrade to a newer system
with more disk space.  If you upgrade, though, the new master has to have
the same name and IP as the master it's replacing.

> 2. After the 4.5 (Binary Catalog) upgrade, have you guys typically seen
> a dramatic reduction in the size of the images catalog ?

If you already compress your catalog the new format won't save you much
space, if at all.  In fact, you'll need a bunch of free space for the
change since it has to uncompress and convert each catalog file
individually.

-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
"All HELL would break loose if time got hacked." - Bill Kearney 02-04-03
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
   ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---